From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of lynchaj
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:04 AM
To: N8VEM-S100
Subject: [N8VEM-S100:614] Re: S-100 68K CPU board status

Hi John!  Thanks!  Wonderful news!

Yes, the CompuPro documentation is excellent as is the DRI material.
It seems the "default" case in the DRI documentation is a $0400 loader and a
128KB version of CP/M-68K.  If the same can be done with the CompuPro binary
images that would be a good place to start.

Assuming you are using an S-100 4MB SRAM board, the most direct path may be
to just use the debug monitor to load the default CP/M-68K binary image into
RAM and tweak the CBIOS from there.  The DRI documents say for a "bare
bones" CP/M-68K the CBIOS needs about a dozen functions or so like the
console in and out and those for the disk.

I imagine the code required for interfacing to an S-100 IDE or S-100 ZFDC
could be considerably simpler than a Disk1A.  Still a lot of work but
doable.

Once even a bare bones CP/M-68K is running then its own tools are available
to help fill out the rest.  Its that first step that's the big one!

Good news on the S-100 68K CPU board PCB trace routing.  As of last night
there were 584 vias and overall trace length at 1450" or so.  At the rate it
was going it should complete a full pass in 2-2.5 days.
This is huge progress and the board has finally turned the corner.  It still
needs to lose about 200 vias to be even reasonable to make a prototype but
at least it is visibly moving.

This is very exciting.  With Leon's Z80/8086 multiCPU running "in the field"
I can see a day in the not to distant future of a Z80/8086/68K multiCPU
S-100 system.  More to come for sure!