RE: [N8VEM-S100:6421] Discussion About Filter Capacitors

Yes, that would be the situation for a complete board.  However, I was incredibly lucky when I ran across the one shorted regulator I have ever seen.  It was an old LM309K (precursor to the 78xx series, I think) in a TO-3 package.  I was using it to build a bench power supply for prototyping.  So, of course, after building it, I measured the output with a meter and found it to be the same as the input.  What more is there to say?  I replaced the regulator and moved on, never to see one shorted again.  I guess I should have saved it for posterity!

Bob Bell

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Crusty OMO
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 12:36 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:6421] Discussion About Filter Capacitors

I doubt you would forget a shorted regulator... that would likely blow every chip on the board, or perhaps if there are many chips, the quick rise in current would take down the power supply?  I have repaired boards that were hit by lightning...  I recall needing to change nearly every chip... with only a few original chips working, I changed those too, just in case there was any kind of hidden damage.  In hind sight, I think those type of boards should be scrapped.