RE: [N8VEM-S100:6389] Discussion About Filter Capacitors

Josh,

Some of the repairs that I have performed over past 2 decades, were dead communication modems, etc.
that would not power on.
Many of these items were first generation users of the 7805 for +5 V rail regulation.
Often the regulator itself would be dead, but on a few occasions I would find 2 leads above PC board where the
tantalum capacitor use to be located.
In one modem, I found the top of the capacitor -- it had launched off the PC board, when it failed.
---
Safety glasses are always recommended on live testing, on the workbench.
I had one tantalum fail, while modem was energized on the workbench -- it launched and hit the shop ceiling !

greg