RE: [N8VEM-S100:4476] Re: A/I 8080 CPU -FAT

Hi Group,

A quick update, I'm at the point in the firmware where I'm going to be jumping through the FAT to find the right cluster.

At this point, I've made the decision to only support FAT16.  This allows for using SD Memory Cards up to 4Gig (only).

But an interesting limitation on the lower end has just come into question.

If we use cards that are 64Meg to 4Gig, I can keep my cluster counting to a single byte, which makes things easier and faster.  But if I have to support 32Meg or less cards, then the clusters need to be counted with 16 bit variables, still do-able, but it will take a bit more time.

I think the time difference won't be a major factor... and I'm leaning towards 16 bit counters, but I'd like to hear your opinions on this.  Does anyone out there have 32Meg SD memory cards?

Searching ebay, it's curious to see 8Meg SD cards!

The average price of 16Meg to 256Meg is about $7
The 512Meg are about $14
and the 1Gig are about $5

Cheers,
Josh