RE: [N8VEM-S100:6632] Re: CPM3 memory banks

A per CPM3 documentation, the common memory is high memory.  So, my design will have one of these four possible configurations:

1.       32K bank & 32K common.  Bank switched memory will be the lower 32K resulting in a memory map like this:

32K Common     32K Common
-----------------    ----------------  …  up to 8 banks available with the hardware MMU/Bank switch logic  I am designing.
32K Bank 0          32K Bank 1

2.       40K bank & 24K common.  The 40K will be bank-switched:

24K Common     24K Common
-----------------    ----------------   …  up to 8 banks.
40K Bank 0          40K Bank 1

3.       48K bank & 16K common.  I this this will be the most efficient:

16K Common     16K Common
-----------------    ----------------   …  up to 8 banks.
48K Bank 0          48K Bank 1

4.       56K bank & 8K common.

8K Common       8K Common
-----------------    ----------------   …  up to 8 banks.
56K Bank 0          56K Bank 1

Since I don’t know which model will work best, I’m leaving myself room for flexibility.

I am currently writing the GAL logic equations.

I discovered last night that the 22V10 does not have enough product terms for this flexibility, and I had to move some of the logic to a second GAL.  Oh well.

Once this is done I’ll get down to burning the GALs, then I can start wiring up a breadboard and testing.

I have two 64K memory boards right now that have extended memory addressing capability – they ought to suffice for testing.

Of course, this means bringing up a banked CPM3, and I don’t even have a non-banked CPM3 yet.  So much cool stuff to do.

Years ago, I watched as Zilog developed the Z180 and the Z280.  I even designed a board for one of them.

But they seemed to drag with the introduction, and by the time they were out, life had moved on.

Bob Bell