Re: [N8VEM-S100:1137] S-100 SMB and S-100 bus extender PCBs status

That's not how linear voltage regulators work.  The voltage drop across the regulator is equal to the difference between the input and output; thus for an 8V input and a 5V output, it will drop 3V (and at 1.5A, it will burn 4.5W, so you better have a decent heat sink).  You'll have the same heat dissipation with a 7805 or an LDO regulator (with a switching regulator, it's a completely different story, but we're not talking about those here).

What a low-dropout regulator gives you is a better *minimum* voltage drop.  The minimum drop is there because there needs to be some headroom to bias the transistors into conduction (think of it as a few Vbe drops).  So, for example, you can run an LDO with a 1V minimum dropout from 6V if you're outputting 5V, whereas a 7805 needs about 8V to operate properly (otherwise, you'll wind up with somewhere around (Vin - 3V) depending on temperature).

Some LDO regulators have a separate, very low current higher-voltage bias supply to allow the supply voltage to be nearly equal to the output voltage; LDO equivalents to the 7805 don't, since they're trying to mimic the 7805 pinout.  I've used ones that use a 3.3v bias supply to achieve an ~0.1v dropout, which of course you can really only do with a FET output stage.

Another ancillary benefit for a low-dropout regulator is that it is generally a much newer part with lower noise and power supply rejection than a regular 7805.  That won't help with the power consumption or heat dissipation, but if you have a noisy power supply, it can help clean it up a lot.

There's certainly no reason not to use one vs. a 7805 unless it's significantly more expensive or less robust.

All this is, of course, why modern electronics use switching regulators (except where linear regulators excel, e.g. noise-sensitive or cost-sensitive circuits where you can afford to throw away efficiency).  You can achieve a greater than 90% efficiency on a circuit like this with a switching regulator, whereas the linear solution operates at a fixed 62.5% efficiency.

-Dave