Re: [N8VEM-S100:1141] S-100 SMB and S-100 bus extender PCBs status

On Oct 11, 2012, at 10:25 PM, Rob Doyle wrote:

> On 10/8/2012 9:21 AM, John Monahan wrote:
>> One thing I have yet to add to the web page for this board -- the 5V
>> regulator runs a little hot on that board (due to the hex displays).
>> Unfortunately the regulator is a bit too far to the left on the board.
>> You need to drill a hole off center on the heat sink to use a large one.
>
> For a little more money you can replace the linear regulator with a
> switching regulator.   I've used the Texas Instruments PT78HT205H
> module (5V/2A) several times.  There is a 5V/1A variant also.
> It fits a standard linear regulator foot print, mostly.
>
> It is available from both Digikey and Mouser.
>
> Go green?

In a number of senses, yes.  Expensive little things, aren't they?

I hadn't heard about those, but I wondered how long it would be
until someone made a switching brick that fit in a 78xx footprint.
It's a convenient replacement, but I don't know about paying $21
each for a 5V conversion brick that costs less than $10 in other
form factors; I'll burn a few extra watts and use a $.50 heatsink
instead. :-)

- Dave