RE: [N8VEM-S100:6846] Re: Simple GAL programmer for GAL22V10

I took a look at CUPL’s and was scared off Bob.  Perhaps I should give it another look.   It has taken me so much time to master kiCAD and Freerouter I almost don’t have the stomach to try something new at this stage.  Any “baby steps” links/suggestions

John

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bob Bell
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2015 6:56 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:6846] Re: Simple GAL programmer for GAL22V10

Thanks, John for pointing everyone to the GAL article on S100computers.com.  That is quite nice.  I am glad to see that you endorse the Wellon VP-290.  I wish I had seen this before I wasted my $$ on the MiniPro 866A.

I, too, am now basing designs on the GALs and I intend to “move up the ladder” so to say with the more complex CPLDs.  I have acquired some Atmel samples of the ATF1502, which has 32 macrocells.  This might take the place of 3 or 4 22V10’s.  It might be a solution to the density of your 486 board.  Alas, not available in DIP.

BTW – I have been writing in CUPL instead of PALASM and I have not run into any I/O polarity issues.  It just seems to work.

WinCUPL (free from Atmel) includes a nice interactive simulator that precludes the need to wire up the GAL on a breadboard with switches and LEDs to prove it works.  I have used the simulator for the first three GALs on the board I am currently designing (revising, to be exact) and every one of them were correct when they were burned and popped into the breadboard.  This is after the simulator showed several errors that I corrected prior to burning the chip.  The only issue I have run into is the simulator is rather quirky to get it to run on a new design.  But after it gets going properly, it works great.  Atmel has been good with tech support.

Bob Bell