RE: [N8VEM-S100:321] S-100 community project

Hi!  Thanks!  I believe if the community is to thrive then many hands need the skills to make it happen.  The community project is a great forum for builders to learn through new experiences.  Builders can get involved and learn to make things outside of their previous experience which benefits everyone.  “Software people” can make hardware and vice-versa.  Learn by doing.

Time and money will limit most everyone’s participation to some degree.  Personally there are some projects which interest me more than others and those tend to get my focus even if they are not popular.  However if you remember the early home brew computer clubs there was a lot of sharing knowledge and skills quite freely.

I can pay for some prototyping but not too much so I have to be selective like anyone else.  It is only a hobby so I cannot let the costs become a problem at home.

Community projects can let the collection expand to include boards which others find important.  For example, Nik really wanted an ECB cassette interface.  He basically did all the work with a little occasional help from me and his board works great.  It supports KCS just like he intended and is a neat board.

There have been several builders who’ve made boards other than me which I think is really great.  It is a fun hobby but it takes lower priority than family, work, etc.  I think the S-100 SPI board would be a neat community project since it is not a board I would be personally interested in but has tremendous potential for bringing the powerful SPI mini board concept to vintage computers.

I am glad to help as much as I can but the community is much stronger with multiple able builders going in their own directions.  The last thing we want is to set up a process that is dependent on any given personality since it will collapse if anything happens to them.