RE: [N8VEM-S100:319] S-100 community project

[AJL>]

Hi Mike!  Thanks!  Yes, something like that.  The model we use mostly now is
I'll do schematic capture, PCB layout, parts list, PCB trace routing, etc.
Then send the board out for builder review, comments, feedback, etc.
Normally there are a few cycles of changes, fixes, etc.  We get enough
builders to buy a prototype board $150/5 = $30 each or whatever
arrangements.  Then I order the prototype boards and send them out to the
build and test team.

Sometimes builders buy prototype boards to get the project moving and I send
the board to a different builder to assemble.  That allows builders
interested in a particular project to "sponsor" it and allow different
builders who have time but without the money to participate.  Splitting the
board design work from the board build and test is a natural division of
labor.  It doesn't have to be that way but spreads the load a bit so a given
builder is not a bottleneck on throughput.  It is a bit of an ad hoc "stone
soup" approach and more or less works -- sometimes spectacularly (XT-IDE)
and sometimes badly (ISA OPL2 FM Synth)

Actually, I've noticed some board design companies work this way as well
although it just sort of coincidentally is that way on N8VEM.  I've more or
less migrated to the schematic capture & PCB layout & prototype board
acquisition niche.  Every project is different though so in this case you've
already done the schematic capture and PCB layout so all I would need to do
is get some prototype boards and distribute to the build and test team.

Usually people just send me a PayPal for a prototype board for themselves to
build and test or to give to another builder to do it.  Either way works for
me and I would like to keep it simple.  The key is to not collect funds
until there is something tangible to deliver though.  Accepting pre-payments
is fraught with risk and is the path to the dark side.

I volunteer to do work as needed but we'll need some funds for prototype
boards ($150) and 4 or 5 volunteers for the build and test team.

I hope this helps!  Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch