Re: [N8VEM-S100:6025] Dual IDE/CF V2a

David,

I went through the posts - good analysis. I only have used MYIDE as a CP/M transient. The board I/O code in my system is burned in my system ROM just as my prior ST506 code was since there is not room in the ROM for both sets of code. I boot my system from a 1.2 MB 5.25 inch floppy.

I got bold a few minutes ago and removed the pull up SIP and replaced the 74S03's with 74LS00's. No instant cure but in looking at the sectors on the CF card I think things are better but no eureka. It did not degrade performance. I also will replace those two 74LS00's with 74ALS00's to further reduce the loading. Also U18 has pins 1 & 2 being driven by one 8255 line and the same for pins 4 & 5. I will lift one of each of those pairs and tie it to Vcc.

Next step I will try is to remove the ICs driving the hex displays and LEDs. They are all LS TTL and put a somewhat higher load on the 8255 lines than do the CF cards themselves. I will pull U10, U12, U13, and U14. I will  no longer have the benefit of the hex displays and the LEDs but to be honest they are not that useful when the board is in my system as I really can not see them and I do not trust observations when a board is on an extender.

One final note - I have been staring at the MYIDE code and at my ROM code that was mostly a copy of the MYIDE code. At least one place in the code (both sets) has me looking at adding a busy check. I don't want to make too much of that right now as I may just be grasping at straws.

I have only a little time today - more tomorrow.

I will report results.

Rich Leary