RE: [N8VEM-S100:2302] MSX2 Utility Board V1 Build info

Thanks Neil!  That’s great news!  Fantastic!  Tremendous progress!  I really appreciate all your effort and I think this is going to help a lot of builders.

Just what you have fixed so far would make a useful board to help boot a bare S-100 CPU!

Thanks for the many updates to the wiki page and those are looking really good.

I am looking forward to the next version of the S-100 Utility board with all the improvements and fixes included.

I think we are getting close to be able test an actual MSX CBIOS implementation.

Dan Werner had one working on the N8VEM ECB system and I am thinking it would be a good starting point.

In the S-100 Utility board design some of the actual peripheral connections were kind of uncertain.

I am not sure how the cassette logic is supposed to work so hopefully we can get some help from the MSX gurus.

The matrix ASCII keyboard is kind of a mystery too.  It is not parallel ASCII but uses some kind of capacitive sense logic.

There might be a standardized part they intended for the keyboard but I was never able to get to the bottom of it.

My hope is the S-100 Utility board would be not just an MSX2 implementation for the S-100 bus but also a generally useful bootstrapping board.

Only the MSX requires Z80 but the RAM/ROM/PPI/UART logic is usable by any 8 bit CPU on the S-100 bus.

Although a 6502 based MSX computer is kind of a bizarre concept!  J