RE: [N8VEM-S100:2301] Re: accepting pre-orders for the S-100 Z80 CPU V2 board

Hi Neil!  I was really surprised at how fast the S-100 Z80 CPU boards went this time.  I ordered extras well above the pre-orders and even those were gone in just days.

My plan is to do another S-100 Z80 CPU V2 board run but this time roll in the minor tweaks from the S-100 VDP and S-100 Utility board projects.  They don’t change any functionality but will make MSX integration a lot easier like using the V9938 CPU clock signal and allowing the Z80 to boot from external ROM with just a few jumpers.

In addition, due to the volume of boards last year PayPal is becoming problematic.  They cannot distinguish between a group hobby project and a business and it is causing me headaches and paperwork.  In 2014 we will have to make different accommodations so the home brew computing project builders can do group PCB orders without all the PayPal hassles.

Were we a local community group, all the interested builders would just throw cash into a “kitty” to do PCB orders and it would work smoothly since it is a group hobby project not someone’s business venture.  However once PayPal gets involved they cannot distinguish the difference and it gets all screwed up.  I am still figuring out how to make this work and will let the builders know once I have a workable plan.

In the meantime if builders need a PCB and just cannot wait they are welcome to sponsor their own PCB manufacturing orders and distribute the boards to the group.  Builders have been doing this on the N8VEM ECB side for years but for some reason it has never taken ahold with the S-100 builders.  I will am happy to help any builder set up their own PCB order and walk them through the process.  It is remarkably easy to do.

If someone is really “champing at the bit” for a particular PCB maybe this would be a good opportunity for a test run.