RE: [N8VEM-S100:4674] Re: S-100-16M-SRAM-MEZZ-V6c Board - Status --- OK

Remember however the 80386 will have to be in real mode for MSDOS. Granted it will be using the fast daughter RAM board however.   The challenge remains the VGA part, a work in progress!

John

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Andrew Bingham
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 9:44 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Cc: mon...@vitasoft.org
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:4674] Re: S-100-16M-SRAM-MEZZ-V6c Board - Status --- OK

I was thinking of playing MS-DOS games at full 386 speed but with the I/O being S100 bus bound I'm not sure how well that would work over the S-100 bus vs ISA.  I know people have run the S-100 bus up to 10 Mhz and the main thing going over that would be an MS-DOS compatible VGA card which also worked on the ISA bus at 8 MHz so maybe it would work?

I have this idea of many years and hours of free time from now being able to play Wing Commander on a full homebrew computer build.  I guess it might be  "better" to design a 386 CPU board (or board set) for Sergey's ISA backplane (maybe with an over-the-top RAM connection similar to how you've implemented it) and be a bit more IBM PC-like....

Andrew B