Re: Help with S-100 VDP board VGA output

Hi!  Thanks Pontus and Leon!  I appreciate your help!  This is great
progress!

I like to use http://findchips.com to help assess whether a part is
"commonly available".  Although there are some exceptions most of the
parts we use on the S-100 boards are DIP/PLCC PTH which helps with the
hobbyist construction.  Personally I have no problem with SMT but I
know some hobbyists have issues with the tiny feature sizes.  However
the small SOIC-8 parts aren't too bad since there are so few pins.  My
personal goal with SMT parts is to restrict them to only the optional
components like FMS6141 video amplifier.

The V9938 already generates an HSYNC signal so my plan at the moment
is to use the LM1881.  It is an older part and available in DIP-8,
very common, and relatively cheap.  All we need is the VSYNC signal so
the rest of the outputs can be left NC.

The way the S-100 VDP board is right now there are two paths to video
output.  Either use the V9938 generated composite video or the pseudo-
VGA that the BT478 RAMDAC will produce.  One of the major goals of
this prototype board is to determine if the BT478 will work with the
V9938.  The BT478 worked like a champ with the uPD7220 board we did
earlier and produces beautiful VGA compatible video.  Hopefully we can
get something similar with the V9938.

Leon, I think the way ahead on the prototype is to build the VGA
interface from the new schematic and splice in the LM1881 to produce a
VSYNC signal.  With some luck we should see some nice display graphics
and text!