Re: [N8VEM-S100:4340] Another route to write a CPM3 image to a CF card for the S100 IDE board

Hi Thomas,

I've found the cause of the problem :-)
It was a memory clash between CP/M and my MYIDEROM rom that was mapped to E000.

Trying to cut a long story short and to the best of my understanding at this point, the disk parameter tables contains various parameters that govern how CP/M accesses the disk, geometry, tables etc...  One of the values that caught my eye in the DPH was the parameter ALV (see page 27 of the CP/M system guide) which is the scratchpad area for keeping track of disk allocation Mmmm...
Looking at the source code in HIDE3.ASM this value and others are not specified, so where are these values coming from ?.
The clue was that John mentioned in his webpage that there are a number of utilities/macros supplied by Digital Research that can be used to generate this information to make disk configuration easier. It turns out the utility involved is called GENCPM, this utility creates a file called GENCPM.DAT that holds much of the configuration information needed to build our CPM3.SYS file.

If you go to your source folder for generating CPM3.SYS and open up the file HMAKECPM.SUB you will notice an entry near the bottom GENCPM AUTO,
upon running this line if the file GENCPM.DAT exists then it will be used in the generation of the final CPM3.SYS file. If you now open the file GENCPM.DAT, the seventh entry down is 'MEMTOP   = EF'  this specifies the top of available memory for CP/M as EFFFH or EF00H (not sure)
My MYIDRROM EEPROM was mapped at E000 to EFFF, Ta Dah.....
I unplugged the EEPROM as I dont need it as a boot platform anymore, disabled the 8 bit chip select enable on the RAM/ROM board and after reloading my image onto the CF card, hey presto !!!  all now working.
The lesson learned is that if you start inserting ROMS into your memory map you need to rebuild your CPM3.SYS file to take this into account by lowering the value of MEMTOP

Coming up against these sorts of problems is where you learn the most, there is still much more to learn.

I have included a couple of screenshots below of the same file copy operation (that previously failed) and a screenshot of the created directory entry
the green and blue boxes show the directory access as the file test.com is written to disk.

hope this may be of interest to you

regards

David Fry