Re: [N8VEM-S100:4300] Another route to write a CPM3 image to a CF card for the S100 IDE board

John

I am confused what you are asking.  I am building 4 images that should jump start the 2 console types with banked and non-banked.  I will have them up on the web hopefully before the end of the weekend.  As you can read below from Thomas - the process I am using works well and is pretty straightforward to do.  I have the serial images working - I am almost finished bringing up my prop console I/O board so I can test that set of images and that should be enough to jump start everyone.  I will follow that up with files and process to build your own custom images which Thomas has already did given my simple instructions indicated in his note.  The whole simplicity of this it to use cpmtools to manipulate and customize images - that only works with the "no holes" wrlba routine that David Fry did and I helped debug (got rid of the off by 1 bug).

Dave

On Friday, June 20, 2014 12:14:11 PM UTC-5, monahanz wrote:
Gary, that looks like an excellent way to tackle this chicken/egg issue for CPM.  Can somebody else out there try it from scratch, on a virgin system.
Dave, what do you think?
John

-----Original Message-----
From: n8ve...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Gary Kaufman
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 7:29 AM
To: n8ve...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [N8VEM-S100:4300] Another route to write a CPM3 image to a CF card for the S100 IDE board

At least a temporary solution:

I placed an image of the compact flash that John kindly provided on my website at:

http://www.the-planet.org/z80/CPM3_0.zip

Inside the .zip is a single file CPM3_0.vhd

This can be written to a 4gb Compact Flash using winimage from http://www.winimage.com/

It is originally from a Kingston 4gb card, but I was also able to write it to two other 4gb cards successfully.

The 4gb Kingston cards that worked properly here (and for John) have a white flower on the front, see ebay 291133013316 (newegg) or
371050627513 (adorama) about $9 each

Winimage runs under windows7 but needs to run as administrator.  My
usb--> compact flash is F:

under Disk, choose "use disk F:"
then Disk, "Restore Virtual Hard Drive image on physical drive"

 From John's notes to me:

"I have CPM3 (banked 128K) on each of the other two CF cards, in user group 0. In user group 1 are CPM86 files in case you need them later.
Note there are a number of SYS files in user group 0 for CPM3 & CPM86.
They will not be visible with DIR or DD. I assume my know how to handle SYS files. "

I hope this provides a way for a few of you to get up and running easily.

It's wonderful to see that A> prompt!

- Gary