RE: [N8VEM-S100:5481] 80386 CPU Board - Component type/value clarification

I think I did 4 prototypes on this board Dave, Played around a bit with the caps early on.   Did not seem to make a difference (at these low frequencies).   The Intel manual has a whole section on board layout. See one page attached here.   I ended up with 0.1’s and two 1uF Tants on C71 & C54.  Probably more important is the actual power supply.  Doing the 80486 I’m learning a lot! On that board I’m bring special wide traces directly to the chip. Also if you can get your hands on one, get a 74H05.  There are so many of the 3Amp regulators that are out of specs,  it’s ridiculous.  While I have a board running at 4.8V’s with one, I really don’t like it.

I am also looking into these newer LM2576’s. See attached. Know anything about them.

BTW, I’m also doing a direct SMD 32MB  RAM daughter board (like our 16MB board). Again a tight  board fit (see an non optimized version).   I will order 4 for myself but since its completely untested I’m not going to announce it yet. But just FYI.

Let me know how the 80386 works.  The only thing I’m not comfortable with on that board is the “kludge” to stretch out the pWR* signal.  I hope to do it better (clock independent) on this 80486.

John