Re: [N8VEM-S100:5494] 80386 CPU Board - Component type/value clarification

the chips are small and so are the parts... so use TWO of them....

also, I always add room for the two trim resisters just in case I want to change the output voltage a bit...

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 11:59 AM, John Monahan <mon...@vitasoft.org> wrote:

Good point Tom, will switch!

In an ideal world I would like to have 5V at say 3-5Amps out,  but also 1 -2 Amps at 3.3V for a AMD 5x86  (the Pentium like CPU) Tom mentioned earlier today.  Has anybody see a dual output chip – just asking!

John

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Tom Lafleur
Sent: Saturday, November 1, 2014 11:39 AM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:5492] 80386 CPU Board - Component type/value clarification

John...

A much better switcher is the LM22677/78, its rated at 5amp, has a very low 100 mOhms output switch (lower heat) and operate at 500Khz or 1Mhz allowing for a much smaller inductor and output C... TI has a number of variants of this part.... The TO263 case is easy to use, I just put a pair of small 4/40 holes under the power pad and solder it from the back side on my prototypes... I use a Bourns inductors and low cost Panasonic output C.. there all surfaces mount, but they are large and very easy to solder... same with the diode... Other part can all be size 1210 or larger parts, again easy to solder... even with my older eyes...

If you need 2-4 amp or so, this is the part I use in my designs and I would recommend...

There are many other parts like this, but this one is easy to get, simple to use ect....

The LM2576 is rated at 3amp, and switched at 50Khz, requires a very large inductor and very large output C....

tom lafleur