RE: [N8VEM-S100:7534] Re: A new Z80 based SBC to get beginners started on the S100 bus

Neat project!  There are/were a lot of boards like this near the end of the era.  I remember working on a system in the 80’s (cannot remember the make) that ran Turbo-DOS.  I’m guessing it was an incantation of CP/M3 or MP/M.  It was S-100 with a master Z80 CPU with 64K that controlled all the peripherals – floppy disk, hard disk, printers, etc., and it had a serial console.  Then there was a slave Z80 card for each user with its own dedicated 64K RAM and serial I/O to user terminals.  The master was the all-in-one card like you are describing.  The machine was fully functional with just that card, an 8” floppy drive and a terminal.  What you are describing sounds a lot like this brought up to modern standards, albeit with the same Z80.

I like the serial I/O concept, though ancient, can still be used with a lot of cheap, simple, terminal emulators.  A while back (6 months?), I saw someone had built a terminal from a pair (I think it was a pair) of ATMega328’s.  If I could re-discover that design, maybe it could be implemented on-board too.  Then the PS/2 keyboard input makes sense.

I’ll also throw my suggestion in for more than 64K RAM so banked CP/M3 can be run.  In nearly the same footprint (28 pin dip vs 32 pin dip), a 128 K or 512K RAM can be implemented.  Then you’ll need a memory manager, but that can be done in 4 chips (my design, currently nearing completion), or maybe one chip if I can advance my design to a CPLD.

Finally, some kind of on-board disk would be absolutely marvelous.  Maybe a Z80-bus-converted version of the IDE/CF board.  And I might get shot down on this, but would it be all that difficult to also include a floppy interface?  Perhaps others have a stash of floppies they might like to read?  Or maybe they still have CP/M on floppy.  Modern floppy interfaces, before they went down the obsolete road, were one ASIC.

My 3 cents.

Bob Bell