RE: [N8VEM-S100:1029] A new S-100 6502 CPU Board

Hi!  At this point since the W65C816S is an 8/18 bit chip I would suggest a
16 bit S-100 CPU board built around it.  Then the board could use the
S-100/IEEE-696 16 bit extensions and be purely 16 bit rather than tweaking
the S-100 6502 CPU V2 board which is a fundamentally 8 bit CPU design.  The
W65C816S plus a few external support chips basically form a 16 bit core CPU
that should drop in place to a similar infrastructure as the S-100 8086 CPU
board or S-100 68K CPU board.

One thing we could do with the existing S-100 6502 CPU V2 board design is
modify it to be switchable between 6502, 6809, and 6802 CPUs.  It takes only
a little extra logic and PCB space to support all three CPUs since they are
so similar in design.  Take a look at the 6x0x host processor project on the
N8VEM wiki.  It is marginally associated with the ECB side but is really its
own separate entity.

However, at the moment we have a lot of irons in the fire with several board
designs in work.  I'd suggest doing some research on what would be a good
W65C816S core CPU and how to splice it into an existing 16 bit S-100 CPU
board.  For sure it would need at least 16 bit data and address bus logic
and buffers.  Probably some means to communicate with 8 bit IO boards, etc.
This certainly is doable but will take some investigation and probably a
prototype board or two.

It would be a good project once the S-100 80386 CPU & DRAM boards, S-100
VGA, MC68040 SBC, etc are working.  I am keeping a "rainy day" queue of
projects like the S-100 VDP, S-100 uPD7220 GDC, S-100 SCSI-1, S-100 ECB
bridge some others.  Actually a page on the wiki would be handy to help
remember neat S-100 board projects for we are so heavily loaded.  Any
volunteers?

W65C816S