RE: [N8VEM-S100:7579] KiCAD 2015 Stable Release

This is indeed encouraging news.  I’ve played a little with the “daily builds” over the last year, but there’s no way I’d trust those releases with any of my projects or library files.  It was not at all clear, for example, what complexities there would have been in exchanging files with people who were on a different daily build.

Thanks for the review Bob.  I’ll give 4.0.0 RC1 a go over the weekend, probably on an Ubuntu machine.  I have a small project in mind.

Reading through the KiCAD blog (http://kicad-pcb.org/post/2015-release-candidate/), it seems this is not yet the “Stable Release”, but it is close.  What is currently available is “Release Candidate 1” for Stable Release 4.0.0.  I don’t know anything about their release methodology, but it seems there may be one or more RCx releases, prior to Stable Release 4.0.0, in order to iron out some known bugs.

Malcolm.

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bob Bell
Sent: Tuesday, 15 September 2015 12:41 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:7579] KiCAD 2015 Stable Release

I have it installed and running.

I took incredible precautions like making a copy of the KiCAD Program Files folder and a complete copy of the registry.

Also multiple copies of my schematics for the current project I am working on.

So far, here are my observations after about 2 hours with it, editing one sheet of a hierarchical schematic:

1.       It read the old (BZR-4022) file without major complaint.  (This was my biggest fear put to rest.)

2.       However, it said that it had to “rescue” several components.  I don’t know what that means.

3.       It said some of my components were created with an older version.

4.       Other than that, so far, my private/personal library is working just fine.

5.       I found nearly all the text labels were off (misplaced) by a similar amount.  Had to move them back into position.

6.       I had to set my preferences again, like bus width and some of the colors.

7.       I use a non-standard 13 x 17 sheet size (it reduces down perfect to 8 ½ x 11 for easy printing), and my schematics opened with this size.

8.       The title block was larger than before (taller) and encroached on some nets.  I had to use the Page Layout Editor to correct it back to the size I use.

9.       The title block editor seems to only work in metric units.

10.   I used the component editor to make a new component without any issues.

11.   Everything else I have used (and that’s not much yet) has worked just fine: place wire, place bus, insert hierarchical label, insert text, insert component, etc.

12.   I don’t see much difference in EESchema.  Maybe there are major updates are in other modules.

Bob Bell