RE: [N8VEM-S100:2285] Re: Jumpers on Z-80 CPU Card

HI John!  Thanks!  Yes, that is an interesting thread on MSX forum.  If anyone can figure out the V9938 registers it is someone there.

I am thinking it might help the conversation there to describe the S-100 Z80 CPU board, S-100 VDP, and S-100 Utility board as one third each of a three board MSX2 suite.  The S-100 VDP is intended to be MSX2 compatible since it uses the V9938 and is also able to use the Yamaha YM2149 instead of the AY-3-8910 sound generator.  The S-100 Utility also has MSX2 features like the real-time clock chip, etc.  There is a cartridge port and matrix ASCII key board port and cassette port.  However the cassette port is poorly defined at the moment as I don’t quite have all the details on how to implement it.  Also includes a parallel port and a serial port.

There are some dependencies between the boards like for example the S-100 VDP generates the unique Z80 clock frequency (3.57xxxx MHz) which synchronizes the S-100 Z80 CPU V2 and S-100 VDP V4 boards using a non-defined S-100 bus pin.  You can use nearly any frequency Z80 but to get something that works well with the V9938 the CPU needs to be synchronized with it.

I am expecting the S-100 Utility board will go through some pretty massive changes for the V2 version once we shake out the bugs, logical fallacies, missing information, and other gaps in the design.  I think there is enough there to get a working board but we are still quite a ways from completely functional board.  S-100 boards and MSX both have some pretty unique idiosyncrasies and trying to get them to co-exist and cooperate is highly non-intuitive to me.  It is pretty clear they both descended from completely different design schools and have little in common.