RE: [N8VEM-S100:647] Re: updated S-100 waiting list

Actually having two boards  has its advantages particularly for critical
boards. I have two S-100 systems here. One (pictured on web etc.) is my main
22 slot system. I also have a smaller 10 slot system which I use when doing
prototype boards etc.   I don't know how many times having a second
functional board saved my hide.  If a whole system is down just flipping in
and out a few identical boards quickly gets to the bottom of things. Then I
usually mark each IC on the faulty board with a little 'white-out' (people
who never used typewriters probably don't know what this is!). and proceed
to flip chips. The latter trick is essential as its real easy to get
good/bad board chips mixed up.  Believe me I've learned this the hard way
with two non-functional boards.  The catch here is obviously more chips, and
you must have board boards identical and functional.  When done the
white-out is easy to scrap off.

As you probably see I always order 3 boards from Andrew. The reason for the
third board is to follow traces on the board if there are board issues. Once
sockets are added it's almost impossible.   Clearly not for everybody but a
lifesaver in prototyping.

John

John Monahan Ph.D
mon...@vitasoft.org