Re: [N8VEM-S100:3097] GAL's and PALASM

I think these are what you are looking from from Atmel - http://www.atmel.com/products/other/spld-cpld/spld-industry_standard.aspx - $2 for the 20 mA version.

They may be more challenging to get programmed properly than the old-school PALs with simple fuses though, since they are electronically erasable.  John and I corresponded about them a little bit while he was writing up this initial tutorial and he couldn't get them to program.  So if one of us could help work that out they might be an option as well.  I'm swamped with my actual job right now but hopeful I will be able to break away soon and try some out.

I have an idea in my head that if one of us gets smart enough with CPLDs/FPGAs, we could do an N8VEM FPGA video chip. Kind of like the LAVA-10 but a design we could all have access to and port to new FPGAs as needed and not depend on another supplier.  I have looked around and the supply of a lot of the vintage video chips is kind of drying up - I had to order an 8563R9 from the UK to build my ECB Color VDU V2.  I also think it would be possible to make a hobbyist board with a DVI transmitter to attach to modern monitors.

Andrew B