Re: [N8VEM-S100:6775] VCF West

On 04/21/2015 10:29 PM, Don Caprio wrote:
> Can someone tell us why there is no VCF west?

You mean THE Vintage Computer Festival? The one that ran for ten years,
and inspired others in different regions that (mostly) still continue?

The guy who used to run it, or at least who led the organizing, got
distracted, burned out, and/or ____ after doing ten of them. And when he
didn't resume after a while, there was no person or group that stepped
up to replace him and make it happen.

> We are in the heart of the Silicon Valley where the computer was born.

Uhm, no. Are you trolling? Did you mean to denigrate or just erase
dozens of pioneers and luminaries scattered across Europe and North
America between the 1840s and 1950s?

"Microcomputer" -- maybe. And even then I find that somewhat ironic
given the origin of the bus this sub-group/list is named after... You
know the people interested in this kind of gathering are often the same
sorts that'd argue about this kind of trivia all day long, right?

> How could there not be enough interest?

I doubt it's a question of interest from potential attendees. But I
think the amount of interest shown by those willing to do the hard work
to organize such an event may provide the answer to your question...

If you seriously want to make something happen, I'd suggest taking the
question to the classiccmp mailing list.

--S.