Re: [N8VEM-S100:2468] Re: Board Run: Unbuffered Prototyping

The milling-approach does make some sense for one-of-a-kind, quick-turn-around, 1- or 2-sided.  But forget the PTH (and multi-layer :->).  You solder a small wire through-hole and then snip the two sides close.  If you're trying to achieve the same effect with a component-lead then you need to ensure that both sides are well-soldered.

If you've already got the rig for another (conventional?) purpose, it does look like a useful approach to PCB-engineering.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:35 AM, Crusty OMO <crus...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi Jack,

My post office charges $3 for a nice plastic bubble mailer, but I hardly think it's worth it.
I have a lot of thin foam, I can easily wrap the boards in paper and give it a criss cross of shipping tape to keep the board from escaping.
So that just leaves me with the shipping costs from within the US... if people are willing to wait until April for boards.
If not willing to wait, then it will cost more to ship from Canada.  I guess everyone can order at their own speed.

Nice video of a milled PCB but I had to fast forward to the end product.  I wonder how fine a trace it can do?  Those CNC machines are not at all expensive... but then again, what else is needed? Interface? Routing Bits? etc.

Cheers,
Josh

From: j...@ckrubin.us
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:2467] Re: Board Run: Unbuffered Prototyping
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:57:33 +0000

The US Postal Service provides various sorts of free packing materials for their priority and express services. Take a look at http://postcalc.usps.com/Default.aspx . I often use their foam envelopes inside other packages to provide padding.

Of course, it seems unlikely that they would deliver them to you in Toronto but I’d be glad to forward to you. Domestically, I’ve received my boards from Andrew in a plain brown envelope with first class postage. Generally I’ve received the boards undamaged but on the last shipment – then new Z80 board – I received an empty envelope. The board had sliced through the end of the envelope somewhere on its journey and escaped. Tape on the edges of the envelope probably would have saved it without increasing the cost of mailing.

Jack