Update on Progress with the 8080 board - Board fine!

Good news, the sOUT signal is OK. I had a wrong connection on my board.  Board is now working fine with the small test loop below.

Now will see if I can hammer my Z80 monitor into shape. Since the board does not have a power on jump circuit, will have to have it start at 0H, relocate top F000H then inactivate the ROM in low space.  Am I missing something?

John

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Monahan
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:44 AM
To: 'Crusty OMO'
Cc: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [N8VEM-S100:4755] Progress with the 8080 board

Hi Josh solved the I/O problem (see below).  Since a few others may be in the board assembly stage I thought I would write up my progress so far for the group!

I am running the board in my “test box” that has no front panel.   Just the V2-SMB and Propeller Console I/O.  I always start with a minimal system so I don’t “blow out” board drivers etc.

First one needs to remember that unlike the Z80,  the 8080 does not treat the upper 8 bits of an I/O port the same way. On our Z80 board (and most others) the upper 8 bits are set ort Zero.  Not so on this board. So on all the N8VEM/S100Computers boards (and perhaps others), ports need to be jumpered so that only the lower 8 bits are factored into port addressing.  All our boards have this option.   Not a nice solution since with 16 bit CPUs the ports appear on every 256 byte boundary.  Setting the jumper K3 to 2-3 on the V2-SMB allowed the routine below to work correctly.

The IEEE-696 upper address lines float.  This will not allow 696 RAM boards to work unless they are adjusted.  Our N8VEM/S100Computers boards generally have a jumper to ignore these lines but again will not work with 16 bit CPU’s.  Our V2-SMB has an option to force these address lines to ground when this board is the master but release them for slave/16 bit CPU’s.

Second the board does not generate the S100 MWRT signal. (On front panel systems, it’s generated there).  One can be generated on the SMB with the  JP11 jumper.

There seems to be a problem with the sOUT signal (s100 Pin 45) on J8.  It’s been pulled high all the time – at least on my board.    I bent out J8 pin 6 and connected it directly to the S100 bus (bending out the pin connection on the extender board). I will try and follow traces to figure what is going on here.

Minor schematic errors.

Pins 8 & 9 of E2 are switched.

Pins 1 & 19 of I8 and H8 should be  labeled D-IN, D-OUT, etc.

Still a work in progress, but wanted to save others reinventing the wheel.

John