Re: [N8VEM-S100:5852] Propeller Console I/O

Also,I have an extra of your 8080 cpu card available, if you know of anyone who need it

Tom Lafleur

On Dec 19, 2014, at 6:01 AM, Crusty OMO <crus...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Tom,

My mind is already thinking of how to add to the firmware for this extra support.  The plan is, as per your idea, to have the firmware prompt various ports and wait for human response.  Then based on which port the response came, write those addresses to the BIOS area for Console I/O.  The problem isn't figuring out which ports, but it's knowing the status bits that work with that port.  The Data Available bit and Transmit Busy bit can be any of the 8 bits and in either polarity (1 or 0).
While I believe there might be ways to search all these status bits to make the system "learn" how the port is strapped, my dilemma is time.  How much time do I want to spend on it.  As a compromise, I can do the same prompt and wait method but narrow it down to a few combinations.  This will simplify my coding task.

This is why I'm looking now for a list of common ports and status bits to load.

Cheers,
Josh