Re: [N8VEM-S100:5669] Wifi / Serial converter module

I have considerable experience with them in embedded
"Internet-of-Things" style devices in industrial applications.

A) You need hardware flow control (CTS/RTS).

B) They can be either an access point or a client.

C) In the simplest mode, you can handle one socket connection at a
time over the serial link.

D) There is a sort of multiplexed mode that allows for handling
multiple socket connections, and requires a little more sophisticated
programming on the serial-port side.

E) Supplying a couple of spare GPIOs is also handy for controlling the
RESET, and a couple of other useful functions.

F) There is apparently also an Ethernet interface available on the
module, although I have never really used that function.

G) You can get them with an on-board ceramic "chip" antenna or with
the SMA connector for external antenna.

In my opinion, I don't see them as being something which would be
comparable to the WiFi module, say, for instance in a laptop. They are
good candidates for a dedicated point-to-point WiFi link, or for
embedded "Internet-of-Things" type devices I suppose.

In any case, read the documentation to be sure you understand the
limitations, and make sure you have the firmware version that matches
the documentation you're reading. There are several versions of
documentation and firmware out there, some are better
chineese-to-english translations than others.

There is also a small inexpensive development board available on eBay
and other places that breaks out into RS-232, and some GPIOs.

Additionally, there are now some low power versions of it that are
smaller and flatter, but are functionally very similar.

This is who we deal with for quantity purchases...they are generally
helpful and friendly....

http://www.tcp232.net/WiFi-to-RS232-UART-Module

- --Mike

On 14-11-23 09:26 AM, Philippe Elie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Did someone in this group already try those modules : they are
> supposed to connect RS232 interfaced equipment to Wifi networks. I
> am considering getting one and connect it to the available serial
> port of my serial IO board, so my S100 can be Wifi-enabled :)
>
> The  ebay auction 191046639519 provides the module (with
> RX/TX/RTS/CTS connections) and the external antenna
>
> any thoughts on this ? thanks Philippe
>
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "N8VEM-S100" group. To unsubscribe from this group
> and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
> n8vem-s100+...@googlegroups.com
> visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

- --
Regards,