RE: [N8VEM-S100:4636] 8080 CPU - Heat is ON - Wet Finger Test

Hi Guys,

Because the 7805 can get hot, I want to just issue a safety warning for everyone.

Hopefully, most of you already know this, but just in case, it's always a good idea to remind and inform the new comers.

When powering a board for the first time, be ready to check the voltages and monitor the heat of the regulator(s).
Cut power off at the sign of any trouble.

When monitoring the heat of the regulator by finger, always use a wet finger.  Doesn't sound right near electricity, but hopefully you have a properly grounded power supply and chassis.  The wet finger will prevent severe burns if the temperature is over 100c.  When it's over 100c, a quick light tap on the surface with a wet finger will give a quick sizzle.  It's like testing the temperature on your clothes iron.  The best way is to use an infrared surface thermometer, but I only got one of those a few months ago.  Up to now, I've always used the wet finger without incident.

Regards,
Josh Bensadon