RE: [N8VEM-S100:4567] Oak S100 card cage

Matt

Sounds like you are a woodworker.. what do you think is wrong with red oak?

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Matthew Turner
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 6:12 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:4567] Oak S100 card cage

Make sure it's white oak, not red. Red oak is pretty much garbage, if you've ever worked with it. White oak is supposed to be commercially extinct, and I think they're using rubber wood as a replacement. But you can still find it, just maybe not in the big box stores.

Regardless, the heat inside the cage will probably lead to some warping. That's difficult to avoid under the conditions, unless you use mdf and veneers.

I'd use plastic card guides in any case, rather than cutting slots, for the reasons you mention.

Personally, I'd use black walnut, but then I've got a stash of it that's 25 years old. Much nicer to work with, and none of the problems associated with finishing oak.

Regards,

Matt Turner