Re: [N8VEM-S100:5071] Re: ARM CPU on the S100Bus-II

John:  How does one get from 46 GPIO pins to "~140 lines available"?  My (very!) limited understanding is that the non-GPIO pins are firmly committed to specific functions by the ARM processor & support circuitry and, unlike a FPGA, they can not be repurposed.  Those GIPO are the (only) lines that the base-board uses to host "wings-n-such" with its dual 0.1" headers.

Mounting the DDR2 SODIMM connector directly on the S-100 board still looks like a SMT challange (0.6 mm pitch), but at least its just one SMT to solder down and thus avoid the dual-connector alignment problem :->.

Here's the TE drawing:  http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action="">  Photo: http://www.te.com/catalog/pn/en/1473005-4

I *think* that this is the right-angle style that we'd want, placing the SODIMM module parallel to the S-100 board.  But I think that one would need a reflow oven to attach it as it seems that the SMT pins are not iron-accessible (note "solder peg" in inset drawing -- which suggests to me that we're talking about the equivalent to a BGA)?

If one can live within the bounds of 46 GPIO, then the S-100 board becomes the single "wing" attached to the pair of 0.1" headers on the "Compute Module IO Board" ... (and the SODIMM Compute Module just nests onto that).  For our purposes the SODIMM connector looks like no advantage whatsoever?

I believe that the BBB mentioned earlier has 65 GPIO already available on 0.1" headers?  (See: http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/BBB_SRM.pdf)

How many GPIO are _absolutely_ needed to handle the S-100 bus?