RE: [N8VEM-S100:1029] A new S-100 6502 CPU Board

Darn, its indeed frustrating I/we did not notice this chip before now.
Thanks for pointing it out Ian. Looking at the pin-outs, it's not too big a
job to add the latching of the higher address lines with data from the 8 bit
data bus. In fact WD give an example in their data sheet.  Many of the other
pins remain the same though I have not looked at the timing signals in
detail. The fact it comes up as a 65C02 is also nice.  See data sheet
attached.

To me the issue is how many people would really like to have/use an S-100
board with this chip. One of the reasons we did the 6502 to start with was
somebody (sorry forgotten who) wanted to do a CPM like OS with the chip.
Not sure if that is still the plan.  I wrote a small 6502 monitor for the
onboard EEPROM (from scratch), got to say it was a frustrating experience.
Just could not get used to using the 8 bit only registers for RAM addressing
etc.. The lack of some instructions and strange flags behavior did not help
, just me I'm sure (been Intel brought up).

Anyway if there is a decent number of people that would use the chip I would
be prepared to do another prototype round. If not,  I suggest we kind of lay
this 65C02 to rest with the proposed production board and focus on other
(more common) 16 and 32 bit CPU's for now.

Comments welcome

John

John Monahan Ph.D
e-mail: mon...@vitasoft.org