Re: [N8VEM-S100:842] Digest for n8vem...@googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 2 Topics

See if you can get a mention in Circuit Cellar, Nuts and Volts or Elecktor magazines.

-Sent from Neil's iPad

On May 28, 2012, at 5:48 PM, n8vem...@googlegroups.com wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/n8vem-s100/topics

    Wayne Warthen <wwar...@gmail.com> May 28 02:52PM -0700

    Hi Folks,

    Not sure if anyone else has been following the last few days of Wikipedia
    status, but it has been quite volatile. There is an active "Proposed for
    Deletion" discussion ongoing as you will see when you look at the N8VEM
    article itself. I have made a couple modifications to the article to
    resolve a few things that were complained about by the editors.

    The latest entry by an editor (in the deletion discussion) is:

    *Weak delete. The **bit-tech source*<http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2009/01/12/the-n8vem-eight-bit-homebrew-pc/1>
    * looks like it probably counts as a reliable source, but the other two
    don't, in my opinion. I can't find any other sources about this, which
    means the coverage is just a shade too thin for us to have an article. If
    someone manages to find another reliable source then I might change my
    mind, however. — Mr. Stradivarius<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mr._Stradivarius>
    (have a chat <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Mr._Stradivarius>)08:58, 27 May 2012 (UTC)
    *

    This essentially means that the article is likely to be deleted without an
    additonal *reliable* source being identified.

    After spending the last few days on this, the one thing I have come to
    deeply understand about Wikipedia is the weight they place on their
    policies. Right or wrong, the policies are *everything*. There were
    previously issues about the article being "promotional", but it looks like
    the latest edits to the article have addressed that sufficiently. The
    remaining issue is "notabilty" and the polices want to see at least 2
    third-party sources referencing the project. These sources cannot be
    things like discussion groups or blogs.

    We desperately need to get some Wikipedia-defined reliable source to
    reference the project. The announcement that Andrew is currently crafting
    for the N8 boards is, in my opinion, our best chance at getting some
    additional coverage that might work.

    If anyone can think of a relatively well-known media outlet that might
    carry this announcement, it would be a huge win.

    The point of this post is to get everyone thinking about this and to
    suggest anyplace that might want to carry the N8 announcement that would be
    considered a reliable source by Wikipedia.

    Thanks!

    Wayne