RE: [N8VEM-S100:1239] S-100 board reorders

Hi Todd,

The IMSAI is definitely 8 bit only.  You are probably right about the 8/16 bit switching.  I'm not familiar with this RAM/ROM board, but you should be able to configure it for 8 bit only mode.

I'm not an expert at S-100, but I think I read somewhere about the newer S-100 bus detecting an 8 or 16 bit card and then using the 8 DI and 8 DO lines to form a single 16 bit bi-directional data bus.

The IMSAI FP (aka CPA) and the 8080A CPU card strictly run in 8 bit mode.  I'll leave it up to someone else here in this group to instruct you on how to configure your RAM/ROM card for 8 bit only.

If you do want to see my schematics for my (8 bit) RAM card, just give me your email address and we can talk.

Cheers,
Josh