RE: [N8VEM-S100:5709] OTish, S-100 SSM I/O Board.

Hi Matt,  That's an interesting idea.  I have cleaned the IC leads by holding the chip leads against my antistatic mat and rubbing the tarnish off with an eraser.  I wonder, would tinning work if the leads are tarnished?  I wonder if there's a way it could be used to re-tin the sockets?  It sounds like it might be a little messy?  For now, it's been 3 nights in a row I've tested my ALTAIR and it's still working.  So, running the chips in/out a few times seems to have done the trick.

1 week to go until show time.

Josh

From: turner...@hotmail.com
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:5709] OTish, S-100 SSM I/O Board.
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 19:47:39 -0500

This is even more off-topic..but here goes.

I t sounds like there is a reasonably common problem of poor contact between the IC leads and the socket. There isn't much that could be done about the sockets, but it may be possible to apply a tin plating to the IC leads. It might involve fixing a probe to half the leads at once, but I don't think the voltage could be above 1.5v, so it may not damage the chip. Is that accurate?

I picked up a "wipe-on" plating kit from Caswell Plating this fall, which consists of a wall socket transformer/regulator, tin solution, and probes. Basically, you attach the anode to the piece you want to plate, the cathode is wrapped in a bit of cloth, you dip that in solution, and wipe a new layer of tin onto whatever you're trying to plate. A bit complicated, but less so than removing sockets etc. Shouldn't affect value at all, but could fry chips I suppose, even at 1.5v. Actually, you might be able to do the entire chip at once by setting it on a pice of copper plate in contact with all the leads.

I guess what may make it interesting is that there are gold plating kits available as well, which would certainly improve contact. Any S-100 boards with unplated contacts could become plated fairly quickly.

Is this a completely stupid line of thought? Has it been tried before? The tin plating kit was $42 cdn, so that at least is economically feasible.

Regards,

Matt Turner