RE: [N8VEM-S100:1834] Re: status of S-100 uPD7220 board

Hi!  Thanks Dave!  It never hurts to have another video board!  Most likely we’ll standardize on the S-100 VGA board once it is done but that may be a while.  The S-100 uPD7220 GDC board will be able to use standard VGA monitors (CRT and LCD) since it uses regular dot-clocks.  The S-100 VDP has VGA compatible signals but still retains the NTSC dot-clock which makes monitor compatibility kind of tricky.  Really the only good options for the S-100 VDP VGA output are really old NEC multi-sync CRT monitors or the newer LCD monitors which share common circuitry with a TV counterpart model.

The NEC uPD7220 GDC is an interesting historical chip in its own right.  I consider it part of those many alternative history discussions like what if IBM has chosen CP/M 86 instead of MS-DOS, used a 68K instead of 8088, used VME instead of ISA, etc.  The NEC uPD7220 was generations ahead of the MC6845 (essentially a glorified address generator) and we’ve been straddled with the latter for thirty years.  It took another 10-15 or so years for accelerated graphics primitives to enter in to the mainstream of PC architecture due to the backwards nature of the MC6845.  What a kludge!

Unfortunately the uPD7220 lacks a BITBLT function however I am sure that had it become popular that function would have appeared soon.  Pair the uPD7220 with a DMA chip and you get the same effect.  Basically just slinging huge hunks of bits around memory address space at break-neck speed.

At least in theory, it would be possible to write an X-server for the uPD7220 but I imagine the performance would be terrible.  For that matter, it would also work for the upcoming S-100 VDP but would have similar results.  Still it is good to have options.

The S-100 uPD7220 as envisioned is an IO only device.  It doesn’t have to be like that but it is how it was implemented on the N8VEM ECB system so I just ported it.  I could alternatively be a memory board (shared between the uPD7220 and system memory) as well but would require a significant redesign.