From: Jco...@cfl.rr.com
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: [N8VEM-S100:5086] Micro Computers your youngsters
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:40:35 -0400

Check this out

http://www.files.jedijf.com/%28electronics%29%20-%20Forrest%20Mims%20-%20Radio%20Shack%20-%2011%20vols/

Jim

From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Jon Tabor
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 4:06 PM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:5083] Micro Computers your youngsters

>>  The next thing I remember doing was building circuits from Forrest Mimms "Transistor Circuits".

Forrest Mims is what got me into electronics.  I still have 3 of his "Engineer's Mini-Notebook" series from Radio Shack; Communications Projects, Science Projects, and Basic Semiconductor Circuits

Very wonderful little books.  They sold for $1.99 back in the day (still have the price sticker on one of mine), and I remember doing some of the projects at the kitchen table with my dad.

Don, if your son is just getting into soldering and electronics, I'd highly recommend picking some of these type of books up.  The ones I have explain a lot of the theory, as well as present simple circuits to build.

After that, I second other folks' suggestion of PIC32-based systems.  The world of PIC processors is fun, and one day I'll pic up a PIC32 -- if I ever get tired of my 8-bit PIC16 and PIC18 chips, that is!

Jon