Announcement of new 8-bit memory board with many optional add-ons

Here are the KiCAD schematics of the new 8-bit board I am working on.  In a related thread I made a preliminary announcement of this board, and here I re-print the text:

This is the announcement of a rather aggressive update to my 8-bit memory board, called the MemPlus.  The board is being renamed to Mem8Plus to emphasize its dedication to the 8-bit side of the S-100 arena.  The motivation for the original board design in 2005 was primarily to replace my 64K dynamic RAM board as it was starting to have problems, and I had no knowledge of this awesome group of S-100 enthusiasts to help me locate a replacement.  Called the MemPlus, it had (has) the following features all on one S-100 board:

·         8-bit IEEE-696 compliant slave

·         Two sockets for 32K x 8 static RAM chips

·         Optional battery-backup for the RAM

·         Two sockets for up to 64K ROM that overlays the RAM if/when addressed

·         Flexible ROM addressing – any size for either socket on any 256-byte start address boundary

·         Optional wait-state generator for ROM addresses

·         Optional 24-bit extended addressing

·         Test Input port and test output port at FF.  Input port used a set of switches.  Output port displayed on LEDs or hex displays.

·         A hardware monitor with these capabilities:

o   Display 16 or 24-bit address bus

o   Display Data Out bus (or test output port, switch-selectable)

o   Display Data In bus

o   Display the important status and control signals on the bus

o   A Run/Stop switch to stop the CPU freezing the displays

o   A single-step switch that can step one M1 cycle or one any cycle at a time, switch selectable

o   A hardware breakpoint that can trigger on address only, set on switches

·         Since the TIL311 displays are rather expensive, the board exists with the option to use LEDs instead of hex displays

·         The breakpoint address and test data input switches can use either hex rotary switches, which are very convenient, or regular dip switches.

·         The Run/Stop, Step Type, Step One Cycle, Breakpoint Arm and Output display switches are brought out to a convenient pod for ease of use.

·         The display portion of the board is initially attached to the main S-100 board.  In this configuration, the board is 2.7” taller than a standard board.  However, it can be snapped off and mounted anywhere desired.  Then two inexpensive 40 pin ribbon cables (like standard PATA disk drive cables) are used to connect the two.

The version two of this board has been in “spare-time” design now since December 2014.  It, too had some significant motivation:  Last summer I bought a version 2 of the IDE/CF board and built it hoping to augment my 8” disks.  Although it worked using the utility programs to write sectors and such, I could not get it to work through CP/M 2.2.  My BIOS is a mashed-up mess of what used to be the California Computer Systems (CCS)  CBIOS, which has worked very well for me up until the IDE/CF board came along.  After hours of troubleshooting, I learned that it should be significantly easier to get it working in a CP/M 3 system.  So, I began research on how to upgrade my system to CP/M 3.  I learned a lot, and as a side-project, I built a second S-100 system for testing and development (I announced on the list that it was fully operational back a number of months ago.)  One of the biggest things I learned was that CP/M 3 runs a whole lot better in its banked arrangement.  But I only had 64K, and although I built a second 64K board so I had 128K, I had no memory manager, and my CPU, the CCS 2810 Z80 board, is a straight Z80, with no memory management either.  So, the motivation was that I needed CP/M 3 to make using the IDE/CF board easier, and I needed more than 64K of RAM to make a go with CP/M 3, and I needed a memory manager to move up from 64K.  Necessity is the mother of invention, so I set out in late December to invent an upgrade to my MemPlus board with the following goals in mind:

o   Add a slow-stepper mode of operation that will automatically step the computer by anywhere from about 1 cycle per second up to about 1000 cycles per second.

o   Improve the breakpoint system so breaks can be triggered on nearly any bus cycle (memory read, I/O write, Interrupt Acknowledge, etc.), any memory address (including 24-bit addresses) and any data bus content.  Also, include a means of adding “don’t care” bits, so, for example, a range of memory addresses could be selected and any of them hit would cause a break.

o   Add front-panel-like memory operations: Examine, Examine Next, Deposit and Deposit Next.

Now that I have left the cat out of the bag on this project, I welcome any and all feedback, suggestions for additional improvement or notices that I have gone off the deep end somewhere.

The KiCAD schematics are attached.  I have a few updates to make that have stemmed from my work on the GALs and some testing, but they are about 99% accurate.

Bob Bell