Re: [N8VEM-S100:1511] IDE board BIOS question

On Mar 12, 2013, at 7:39 PM, John Monahan <mon...@vitasoft.org> wrote:

Same for me – time. The thinking at the time was that the original card was for hard disks with limited sectors/track in a head/track/sector format. I wanted to have one BIOS that would work with both old hard disks and CF cards to avoid the hassle of different versions .

For CPM it was never an issue for me because the fraction of the card CPM could utilize (10MG if I remember correctly) was so small it was not worth the extra effort.  I even think I put in a command to copy the total CPM disk to another region on the card just as a backup.

Anyway sorry, not done the way you want it.  FWIW, the MSDOS drivers (see 8086 Monitor) are done in true LBA mode for the board. The reason being MSDOS can and expects to read/write a block or contiguous sectors starting anywhere on the disk.

Not a problem!  If it was all done already, I wouldn't be learning as much :)

I wasn't sure if I was missing something.  I've got a working CP/M 2.2 BIOS but wanted to try packing data as an exercise but might have been thrown off a bit by an older CF card that didn't quite work the way I expected.  I'm going to check the timing of the initialization pulse as you had suggested.

Thanks for the clarifications... it definitely helped.

Bob