Re: looking for an S-100 expert builder to build and test prototype board

Hi!  Thanks Neil, Dave, and Kipp!  I appreciate your support!

Well the answer to the whole VGA connection issue is "kinda sorta".

The V9938 (and V9958 with an almost identical pin out) support RGBI
(TTL) at NTSC/PAL dot clock frequencies in addition to composite.
Many recent LCD monitors also supply a composite video input channel.

There is another project at N8VEM (ColorVDU) on the ECB side which has
circuitry that *potentially* allows an RGBI to be converted to a VGA
compatible monitor.  I will be sending that PCB to manufacturing this
weekend.

However, this does not resolve the differences in dot clock.  This
trick relies on the recent LCD monitors which can sync to lower than
VGA dot clocks because they share circuitry with their TV equivalent
displays.

There are a few very rare CRT type VGA monitors which can sync at NTSC/
PAL frequencies.

In other words, there is a *possibility* under the right circumstances
of VGA "sorta" compatibility.  This is not a sure thing though and
will depend on your monitor.  Recent LCD monitors have a decent chance
of working though IMO.  This is something we'll have to hash out in
the prototyping area on the PCB.  It's why we need a build and test
phase to sort out what is real versus what is wishful thinking.

I very much appreciate your support.  Please consider.  Thanks and
have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch