Re: [N8VEM-S100:4453] MAX-232 chips

If you look at the TI datasheet (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/max232.pdf, page 7) it says in a flagged note that "C2 can be connected to VCC or GND".  They show it connected to GND in this PDF.  The Maxim datasheet (http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX220-MAX249.pdf, page 17) shows it connected back to VCC which the TI PDF says is okay as well..  So I think either one should work.  Once the capacitor is charged it's effectively an open circuit.....