From: n8vem...@googlegroups.com [mailto:n8vem...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Paul Birkel
Sent: Sunday, July 22, 2012 11:37 AM
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [N8VEM-S100:1000] S-100 backplane request for help

While John has some great information on his backplane/ps page
(http://s100computers.com/My%20System%20Pages/The%20Box/The%20Box.htm#The_Po
wer_Supply),
one point that is missing is the proper power supply sizing for an 8-slot
system.

The IEEE 696:1983 spec is silent on the allowed/anticipated ps-loading per
slot, but it seems reasonable to assume 1 A to maybe 1.5 A average per slot
on the 8V rail, max (most cards hosting a single 1A +5V regulator, with the
occasional dual-regulator configuration like the dual-IDE card)?  That
suggests maybe 12A on the 8V rail, and we might guess 1-2A max on the +16
and -16V rails (since these aren't used much at all on modern cards)?

Am I way off-base here?

FWIW, here are what appear to be the most relevant Meanwell supplies (via
Power Factor, as pointed out by John) -- all of which can have their output
voltages adjusted upwards a bit to fit the 8 and 16 volt
bus-targets:

http://www.power-factor-1st.com/g2-series/s-100f.html 7.5V, 0~13.5A  $49.45
http://www.power-factor-1st.com/g2-series/s-150.html  7.5V, 0~20A  $55.45
http://www.power-factor-1st.com/g2-series/s-210.html  7.5V, 0~27A  $70.95
http://www.power-factor-1st.com/g2-series/s-40.html    15V, 0~2.8A  $37.90

The 20A (second line) seems to be the cost-effective sweet-spot "with
headroom".

Happy hunting :->.