RE: [N8VEM-S100:1246] S-100 board reorders

Josh, I would pull 58 high with a 1K to +5V on some board in your system.   Should not leave it floating. Noise can trigger a signal.

Yes the IEEE-696 specs allow the bus to dynamically switch 8 or 16 bits on the fly for both I/O and memory.  I’m actually using it in its most extreme case right now with an 80386 (32 bits internally, jumpered to 16 bits externally) with a 24 MHz CPU clock!  This system continuously switches between 8 and 16 bit access – and with our 4MG RAM board.   What it will not do however is work with a board that does not recognize sXTRQ* by sending back SIXTN* for 16 bit access.   Interestingly, the 80486 can actually be jumpered to do just 8 bit only access, but there are other complications with that chip which I have not yet considered/figured out.

The main advantage however of the S100 bus is the ability to isolate and/or configure different computer components. The bus has the ability to have up to 16 CPUs/DMA controllers on the bus. The most I have had so far is 4 , (Z80, 6502, 80386, and 68K).

John

John Monahan Ph.D

e-mail: mon...@vitasoft.org

Text:    mon...@txt.att.net