Re: [N8VEM-S100:1460] Re: S-100 board reorders

Hi Andrew!!

I am surprised at the resistance to the PLCC - I find the DIP-64 much more fragile and takes up a whole lot more space than the PLCC 68 footprint.  I would really like to get to the AT1024 style eeprom for the ROM as well. I find having to pull and program 2 chips much more time consuming than 1 and there is really no way to put ZIF sockets on the current board.   I have started  developing  my code on the MC68360 board we have designed because it only has a single chip eeprom and I can put a ZIF socket in for it - makes rapid changes a lot easier.  With my current work I am trying to develop the monitor and CBIOS for CP/M 68K all in C with very minimal assembler code required - mainly for initializing the Data, BSS and stack (requires a little more assembler on the 68360 as there is some initial work in getting the memory setup to be used here but on the S100-68K you basically only need to set up stack pointer and copy data and BSS from ROM to RAM and then jump to C).  My overall goal here is to have code that is platform independent that can be completely reused between the 2 platforms.

I am not sure what a 68020 is going to buy other than it can be done.  There is no on chip MMU or FPU.   The advantage of a 68020 would be it has a full 32 bit data bus but that is not very useful in an S100 system as the bus only supports 16 bit data at best.

Dave