From: "Bob Bell" <bbel...@gmail.com>
To: n8vem...@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 3:32:42 PM
Subject: RE: Mini S-100 chassis........Re: [N8VEM-S100:7462] Playing with FP Mini, Crustys 8080, Con I/O & SMB

Dan, FYI…

If you want to run 5V on the bus instead of 8V, you really don’t have to remove the regulators (yeah, that sound like an annoying job).  Just solder a jumper wire from input to output, then be sure you mark the board VERY carefully so you don’t put it into an 8V backplane.  In this configuration, the regulators draw a very nominal quiescent current that is significantly lower than anything else on the board.  I run many boards like this in two S-100 computers.  I use a MeanWell QP-200F switcher that has been adequate for both machines, one a 12-slot and the other an 8-slot.  I no longer heat my basement with these computers, and sans that boat anchor power transformer and filter caps, I can actually LIFT them now without getting a hernia.  Now if I could just get those IDE/CF boards built and working so the 8” floppy drives could go onto a shelf… (Please, no help needed at this time on the IDE/CF card – I just need to find the time to work on the.)

Bob Bell