RE: [N8VEM-S100:6541] Re: Propeller console IO board

Hi Harold,

I'm looking at the spin program.  I have never written anything in spin before, but it really just looks like C.
If you open the project and click "VT100_Emulator-2.spin" on the left side... you will see the emulator code.
The biggest routine there is:

'' Process next byte from our host port
PUB singleSerial0(c)

Which you can see is where the brains are for decoding the escape sequences.
It's a state machine, in State 0, it's just displaying characters and handling the simple control characters.
When an escape sequence starts (ie character 27) the line:
   if c ==27
       state :=1
       return

then kicks the state machine to state 1.

I'm not too familiar with C, but I can see that the following operators probably do this....
:=   (colon-equal)  assign the number
==  (equal-equal)  compare the expressions
+=  (plus-equal)   add the value of the right _expression_ to the variable on the left.
|= (bar-equal)  logically OR's the value of the right _expression_ to the variable on the left.

So, in BASIC you would write:
a = a + 5
Here you would just write:
a += 5

BASIC:     a = 99
SPIN:        a := 99

on CR (13) I see the line:
pos := pos - (pos // text#cols)

I guess they could have wrote:
pos -= pos // text#cols

Either way, I conclude that the _expression_   pos//text#cols
would give the remainder of pos (current position) divided by the number of columns.
So this would effectively put the current position to the start of the line.

The reference "text#cols" probably works through a link at the top of the source in the OBJ section.
It says:
text:   "VGA_1024"

and if you look at the VGA_1024.spin file, you'll see what I believe is a definition for the cols.
since it's in a section called "CON" I will guess that means "Constant", so cols is a constant set for 80.

Anyway,  look back at that state machine.... in state 1, it will process any escape sequence.
If the sequence then has a square bracket, it advances to state 2 where it will fetch the first parameter, then to state 3 to fetch the 2nd parameter and finally state 4 to process that command.  I see in State 4, that it calls another routine called ansi.  Check that subroutine out!  It looks like it covers all the escape sequences I'm familiar with.

Make backups of your files, and try something new!

Good luck
Josh