RE: [N8VEM-S100:5000] FPMini Status Update

Hi Jeff,

It's not hard for KiCad to substitute a foot print between the schematic and PCB layout.  KiCad uses two intermediate files between the schematic and the PCB, a Netlist and a footprint list.  If a foot print is not found in the current library (and there's many ways to customize and loose those custom libraries) then it drops in a default footprint where possible (without raising an error).

So, if Don found a foot print where pin 1 and 3 were swapped for the convenience of actual switch position (we all know the switches are reversed), then that custom foot print was no longer....  well that's like putting the left sock on the right foot after years of using universal socks (ok, I made up that term).

Lesson learned, Don's going to look at the board traces & layout 3 times over and I'm going to look
look at it 3 times too and we'll average out the answer!

I'm sure it will be fine...  KiCad is good at catching other errors like unconnected pins, etc... as long as the schematic is right.

On my board there where 2 errors, 1 was a circuit design error, the 2nd was a schematic error because KiCad didn't understand how to make a multiple unit that had more than 1 enable pin.  ie, I had the wrong part designed for the 8T97.  I even thought about that pin and just made a mental note to connect and override the error later, but I forgot.

PS. Who caught my English error in the 3rd paragraph??? Give yourself a beer!

Regards,
Josh Bensadon