Wellon VP-290 Programmer

I just invested in and received a new Wellon VP-290 programmer.  Based on some casual conversation on this list, it seems that this model is rather popular.  I hope so, because I', having some problems and hope for some advice:
After an hour, I finally got the USB drivers to install and the Link light is now lit.  But now the software won't run.  (It would run in demo mode before the drivers loaded.)  With both a normal launch, or a Run as Administrator launch, the splash screen appears for a few seconds then goes away.  And that's all it does now.  I was having high hopes, but now I'm bummed.  I have emailed their tech support, but I don't expect much.  Have you have any experience with this programmer and software? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Bob Bell